UPDATE: Traces of soot line the shared hallway at Park Terrace Apartments off Manor Road. It's what's left after fire broke out Saturday night.
A neighbor called for help after noticing smoke coming from the apartment next door. Chattanooga police arrived moments later.
"They determined it was time to force entry. They kicked in the door and the four officers cleared the residence," Sgt. Lewis Davis said.
Once inside, Davis says the officers realized they got there in just a nick of time.
"It was very fortunate the officers were there when they were because the resident was inside asleep. He didn't know. There weren't any carbon monoxide sensors, from what I was told," he added.
Crews says the fire started when the man fell asleep with grease heating up on the stove, causing $10,000 worth of damage.
Davis says police, fire and EMS crews work together when responding to calls like this one because seconds matter most.
"They're dispatched to our accidents if there are injuries, fluid on the roadways. Just like us with residential fires and medical calls," he said.
And should be a reminder to always have working smoke and carbon monoxide detectors whether you rent or own your home.
"It's always important to have an alarm in your apartment, house or whatever else," he said.
The man and all four officers were checked out by EMS and were all OK.
ORIGINAL STORY: Chattanooga Fire Department was dispatched to 3929 Manor Road around 10:30 p.m. Saturday, on a possible fire at Park Terrace Apartments.
When firefighters arrived on scene they were advised by Chattanooga Police that the fire was out and all people were out of the building.
Police knocked down the door and woke one of the residents. The resident then put out the fire using a pan of water.
Hamilton County EMS was called to scene to check the occupant's carbon monoxide levels and also four CPD officers who entered the apartment. All parties were checked and all were OK.
The estimated dollar loss was $10,000. The kitchen sustained smoke and heat damage and the remaining part of the apartment had heavy smoke damage. The fire was started when the resident fell asleep with grease heating up on the stove. The fire will be ruled accidental.
Sunday, August 20 2017 8:43 PM EDT2017-08-21 00:43:03 GMT
The Samuel L. Jackson and Ryan Reynolds action comedy "The Hitman's Bodyguard" has taken the top spot at the box office this weekend with an estimated $21.6 million in grosses from 3,337 theaters according to...More
The Samuel L. Jackson and Ryan Reynolds action comedy "The Hitman's Bodyguard" has taken the top spot at the box office this weekend with an estimated $21.6 million in grosses from 3,337 theaters according to studio estimates Sunday.More