Chattanooga police kill man endangering a child
A Chattanooga police officer shot a man near Emma Wheeler Homes around noon on Saturday.
UPDATE: Chattanooga police released information of officer-involved shooting, which killed the suspect.
Just before noon today Chattanooga Police responded to the 5113 Woodland View Cir. in response to a mental health/unknown trouble call.
- Hamilton County 911 received a call from an individual making unusual demands.
- Chattanooga Police were dispatched to the residence to make contact with the caller.
- Once on scene, police encountered an armed individual at the residence with a small child.
- The armed suspect exited and entered his house multiple times, refusing to comply with directions from police.
- Chattanooga SWAT/HNT team was requested by officers on scene due to the potential for a hostage situation.
- The suspect then exited the house holding the small child and brandishing both a knife and a firearm.
- The small child was able to get out of reach of the suspect and was rescued by a Chattanooga Police officer.
- During the rescue of the child, the armed suspect moved aggressively toward the officer and small child while brandishing the weapons.
- Officers on scene used corresponding force to subdue the suspect.
The suspect was transported to a local hospital where he received treatment but succumbed to his injuries.
PREVIOUS STORY: A Chattanooga police officer shot a man near Emma Wheeler Homes around noon on Saturday.
Witnesses tell Channel 3 the man had a gun. No officers or bystanders were injured.
CPD Chief Fred Fletcher said, multiple officers fired shots at the suspect, Javario S. Eagle died at a local hospital from his injuries.
Hamilton County Sheriff's Office will investigate the shooting, which is standard procedure. Investigators have a wide perimeter set up and will do a 3D scan of the crime scene with Lieca technology.
We have a crew on scene and will continue to update this story throughout the day.