Three injured in Saturday house fire, one critical - WRCBtv.com | Chattanooga News, Weather & Sports

Three injured in Saturday house fire, one critical

Posted: Updated:

Chattanooga Fire Department said, three people barley escaped with their lives when a fire broke out at their home around 4 A.M. 

Investigators said three people, two adults and a child, were in their house at 371 N. Highland Park Avenue. A 7 year-old boy woke up to the smell of smoke and saw flames in the living room. The boy woke up his father and uncle, who were sleep in their bedrooms. The father woke up, but the smoke was already very intense, he crawled on the floor to get his son. 

The father and son crawled back to the father's bedroom and then broke out a bedroom window with his hands, cutting himself in the process. 

The father and son waited for a period of time, but the uncle did not join them, so they escaped out the window.

While the son ran to a neighbor's house to call 911, his father grabbed a ladder and took it around the back of the house to see if he could get to his brother. By that time, CFD arrived on scene. 

Captain Dusty Rose, said heavy smoke and flames were visible at the front of the house. They tried to enter through the front door, but were unsuccessful. Firefighters entered through the rear of the house via the back door. The intense smoke made the firefighters crawl on the floor in search of the victims. Firefighters found the man's brother unconscious on the bedroom floor. They carried the man out and handed him off to paramedics with Hamilton CO. EMS. 

All three victims were transported to Erlanger Medical Center. The boy was treated and released for smoke inhalation. The boy's father, received treatment for cuts and abrasions to his hands and arms from breaking his window, and is expected to be released. The uncle, suffered from severe smoke inhalation and 2nd and 3rd degree burns to his upper body. He was flown by Life Force Air Medical to the burn unit at WellStar Cobb Hospital in Cobb County, Georgia. He was listed in critical condition. 

Firefighters were able to contain most of the fire damage to the living room, where the fire appears to have started. Captain Andrew Waters said he found two smoke alarms in the house, but both were inoperable because the batteries in them had been turned around. It is not known why the batteries were turned around. 

The cause of the fire is undermined. 

Powered by Frankly