Gasoline used to start fire injures man - WRCBtv.com | Chattanooga News, Weather & Sports

Gasoline used to start fire injures man

Posted: Updated:
CHATTANOOGA, TN (WRCB) -

A man used “a small amount of gasoline” to burn some leaves in a ditch and ended up with 2nd and 3rd degree burns on his right arm.

Chattanooga firefighters were sent to the 2900 block of E. 45th Street to investigate a report of an explosion about 7:00pm Thursday evening, according to CFD spokesman Bruce Garner.

There, they found the man with serious burns; he was transported to Erlanger Medical Center for examination and treatment.

The man said the gasoline vapors ignited, burning him. That ignition sounded like an explosion, prompting the emergency call.

CFD Fire Chief Chris Adams reminds us  that gasoline should never be used to burn leaves, or anything else. 

“Gasoline is actually more dangerous than dynamite,” says Fire Chief Chris Adams. “Gasoline has invisible, explosive vapors that can ignite, and explode, from more than 12 feet away. It’s  extremely dangerous and should not be used for anything other than fuel for your car and outdoor equipment.” 

Garner said in a news release that the generally, explosiveness of one gallon of gasoline is nearly equivalent to several sticks of dynamite.

Powered by Frankly