UPDATE: Coach placed on leave after players slam ref at high sch - WRCBtv.com | Chattanooga News, Weather & Sports

UPDATE: Coach placed on leave after players slam ref at high school football game

Posted: Updated:

UPDATE: One of the coaches of two San Antonio high school football players who charged at a referee during a game has been placed on leave as school officials investigate his potential involvement in the violent behavior.

The two John Jay High School football players who were caught on videos pummeling a referee during the second-to-last play of Friday night's game have been suspended while school officials investigate the incident.

A video on YouTube showing one player knock over the referee before another dives into him had been viewed more than 7,000,000 times by Tuesday afternoon.

MOBILE USERS | Watch video here

John Jay High School assistant football coach Mack Breed is on paid leave while a separate investigation also focuses on whether he may have provoked the two players, who have not been identified because they are minors, said John Jay's director of communications Pascual Gonzalez.

Before the two players attacked the referee, two other John Jay team members had been ejected from the game, and Breed allegedly told his team: "That guy needs to pay for cheating us," Gonzalez said.

Breed, 29, has worked for the school district for five years and played football at John Jay High School, said John Jay's executive director of athletics Stanley Laing. "The alleged comments of the coach is not a reflection of that coaching staff," Laing said.

Laing added that the actions of the two players also don't reflect on the football team, and the district has decided not to cancel the football season. The two players could face expulsion from the district, in which case they would be placed in a "juvenile justice" school, said Gonzalez.

They claim that the referee directed racial slurs at John Jay players, which will factor into the investigation and their punishment, Gonzalez added.

Two additional investigations by the University Interscholastic League and the police department of Marble Falls, where the game was played, could result in additional consequences for the two John Jay athletes.

The police department said Monday that they were investigating the incident. The department was in touch with Burnet County attorney Eddie Arredondo on Tuesday to discuss the possibility of criminal charges, said Marble Falls Sgt. Tom Dillard.

Arredondo told NBC News that he would review the case "just as we would with any other case," but added that the investigation was in a "premature stage." He said, based on the information he had, the players could possibly face assault charges.

PREVIOUS STORY: (NBC News) - A Texas school district has launched an investigation and suspended two football players who ran forcefully into a referee during a Friday night game.

The two John Jay High School football players were caught on video from two different angles pummeling the referee while he watched a play on the field. One ran into the referee from behind and while he was down, another player knocked into him. It's not clear from the video whether either player intentionally hit the referee.

"The two players in question have been suspended from the team and school pending further investigation," Stan Laing, executive director of athletics for the Northside Independent School District, said in an email to NBC News.

MOBILE USERS | Watch video here

The chaos unfolded with about a minute left in Friday's game against Marble Falls High School, according to The Associated Press.

The school district that John Jay High School is a part of said in a statement that the incident would be investigated when school reopened on Tuesday after the holiday. The investigation will include interviews and hearings, according to a statement from Northside Independent School District.

"The video that we saw is extremely disturbing. It is not the good sportsmanlike behavior that we teach students. We are in touch with and cooperating with the UIL (University Interscholastic League) in the investigation," the statement said.

Both players involved had been ejected from the game, but not suspended by the UIL, the league said in a statement. "The UIL takes this matter very seriously and will take appropriate action once the investigation is complete," the statement said.

Powered by Frankly