Grill fire damages Signal Mountain home - WRCBtv.com | Chattanooga News, Weather & Sports

Grill fire damages Signal Mountain home

Posted: Updated:
SIGNAL MOUNTAIN, TN (WRCB) -

Firefighters say the number of grill fires can spike over a holiday weekend, but there's a few quick things you can check to make sure your family's home stays safe.

A Signal Mountain family's home went up in flames due to a grill fire on Friday night. It happened in the 300 block of Dawn St. 

 "The gentleman just momentarily left it unattended. It certainly wasn't anything out of the ordinary, but just that little amount of time was enough to do quite a bit of damage," said Signal Mtn. firefighter Sam Guin.

Firefighters say the grill fire spread from the back deck to the attic of the home, where the flames quickly took off.

"Once a fire gets into the attic... attics are common areas. They spread the entire length of the house," Guin explained.

While cooking fires are one of the main causes of house fires, they can be easy to prevent.

If you're firing up your grill this weekend, make sure it's away from overhangs, railings, and low-hanging branches.

"Keep it away from your house. That way, if something is to happen, it's going to make it more difficult for it to spread into the structure of your actual house," said Guin.

Also keep kids and pets at a safe distance. If you use a gas grill, check the propane connection to make sure there's no leak in it.

But your safest bet, Guin says, is not walking away from the grill -- even if it's just a few minutes.

"It's definitely a temptation to walk away when the burgers are on, and you've got something else you're preparing, but one of the things we stress is to not leave the grill unattended," he said.

Firefighters also suggest keeping your grill clean and always having a water source or fire extinguisher close by.

Powered by Frankly