Ingested Acrylonitrile can lead to short and long-term problems - WRCBtv.com | Chattanooga News, Weather & Sports

Ingested Acrylonitrile can lead to short and long-term problems

Posted: Updated:
Source: WBIR, A train derailment and fire caused the evacuation of 5,000 people in Blount County. Source: WBIR, A train derailment and fire caused the evacuation of 5,000 people in Blount County.

The train that derailed early Thursday morning was carrying Acrylonitrile, a flammable toxic gas. At this point, however, officials say no one has been injured or died as a result of the accident of the chemicals.

The substance, according to the EPA, is used in the manufacture of acrylic fibers. The Occupational Health and Safety Administration says those exposed should use precaution.

READ MOREUPDATE: Antidote kits for poisoning being sent from Chattanooga to Blount Co.; site of trail derailment

Short-term inhalation, ingestion or contact can cause irritation, itching, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. Long-term, it can cause digestive disorder, reproductive disorders and cancer.

Read more at WBIR

Powered by Frankly