UPDATE: Two boys arrested for Gillespie Road fire - WRCBtv.com | Chattanooga News, Weather & Sports

UPDATE: Two boys arrested for Gillespie Road fire

Posted: Updated:
CHATTANOOGA, TN (WRCB) -
UPDATE: Two juveniles are being charged in connection with a house fire May 3, 2015 on Gillespie Road. 
After a week-long investigation Chattanooga fire investigators charged two boys ages 11 and 14, with arson and burglary. A Chattanooga fire investigator reports that while the residents were away, the two boys broke into the home, stole some personal items, vandalized and set the house on fire. 
The fire caused significant damage before firefighters could get the blaze under control. No injuries were reported, but the fire displaced a mother and eight children.
Chattanooga police took the boys to the Juvenile Detention Center for booking. 


Two separate fires kept firefighters busy Sunday night.

Arson is suspected at the first fire at a home on Gillespie Road. The blaze required four fire companies to respond about 6:00pm.
According to Chattanooga Fire Department PIO Bruce Garner, when firefighters arrived they found heavy smoke and fire coming from the second floor.
CFD Battalion Chief Rick Boatwright said the firefighters discovered most of the fire on the second floor.
The fire was contained to the second floor, with smoke and water damage to the rest of the home. The dollar loss was estimated at $20,000.
The residents were not home at the time of the fire; no injuries were reported. The investigation continues. 


The second fire was at a home on East Brainerd Road about 9:30pm Sunday night and is being ruled accidental from improperly discarded cigarette butts. 
When firefighters arrived, they found a fire that had been extinguished by a neighbor with a garden hose.
Fire officials say it appears the resident was putting her discarded cigarette butts in a cardboard box on the patio. One of the butts was completely extinguished and started the fire. 
No injuries were reported; the home's occupants were not at home at the time of the fire.
Damages were estimated at $2,500. 


Powered by Frankly