UPDATE: Husband pleads guilty in 2015 murder of wife - WRCBtv.com | Chattanooga News, Weather & Sports

UPDATE: Husband pleads guilty in 2015 murder of wife

Posted: Updated:

UPDATE: Forty-nine-year-old David Lowell Dyer entered a guilty plea Wednesday morning to the murder of his wife, Glenda Dyer, and aggravated assault, and obstruction of an emergency medical professional, according to a news release from Bert Poston, District Attorney for Conasauga Judicial Circuit.

Dyer's plea was entered before Superior Court Judge Jim Wilbanks, who sentenced Dyer to serve life in prison on the murder charge and 5 years on the obstruction charge.  

The aggravated assault count was merged with the murder charge for sentencing purposes.  

The case was scheduled today, but was not anticipated to be a plea. 

Dyer advised his attorney, Mike McCarthy with the Public Defender’s Office that he wished to change his plea.  

The victim’s family was present and supported the resolution of the case. 

PREVIOUS STORY: More than a month after a North Georgia woman was murdered in her home, the crime scene sits untouched. Her family contacted Channel 3, saying they can't move on until it's cleaned up.

Glenda Dyer was stabbed to death in February. Her husband, 49-year-old David Dyer is charged in her death.

Dalton Police say Dyer also attacked and injured a first responder.

Glenda Dyer's brother, Greg Harp, says he couldn't stay quiet any longer.
He says the District Attorney's office promised to clean up the crime scene, but the house where Glenda Dyer was attacked, still carries the evidence of that day.

"And it's been over a month," Harp said, "And they even re-promised us now that it would be done yesterday. It's today and it's still not done."

The graphic crime scene from February 26th remains inside Glenda Dyer's home.

Harp says the District Attorney's office promised to arrange cleanup and assist with payment following Dyer's murder.

"Still the thought of the things that happened, it was really bad," Harp said, "She was stabbed 68 times."

District Attorney Bert Poston tells Channel 3 he thought the clean up was taken care of last month, and his office is working with the Dyer family.

Harp says its just one reason his family can't move on.

"How did this get by? how did this get past that many people? and that many times?" Harp asks.

Harp points to David Dyer's criminal history, and says there were red flags prior to his sister's death.

According to Dalton police, Dyer has been arrested on five misdemeanor charges since 2012. Three of those were DUI arrests.

10/7/12 - DUI
9/1/13 - DUI
4/16/14 - DUI
11/27/14 - Obstruction of Officers, Leaving the scene of an accident, driving while license was suspended, improper backing
2/4/15 - Probation Violation
2/26/15 - Homicide

Harp says Dyer should have been in jail.

But the District Attorney says Georgia DUI laws don't require a felony charge, or mandatory jail time until the 4th conviction.

Dyer's fourth DUI was pending in court when he was arrested for murder.

"If something goes unpunished, eventually something bad enough is going to happen," Harp said, "You're going to have the feeling like you can not be punished, eventually."

Glenda Dyer's family now wants to make sure justice is served.

"Anything less than life without parole isn't worth my sister's life," Harp said.

But until they can have closure, they are clinging to memories of the woman they say was a friend to all.

"In all the years I've been alive I never heard not one person say anything bad about her," Harp said, "She was very helpful, hardworking, the sweetest person I knew."

David Dyer was denied bond at his first hearing in March.

Along with felony murder he's charged with aggravated assault, aggravated battery, battery, criminal attempt to commit murder and interference of EMS by threats.
A grand jury will hear the case in the coming days.

Powered by Frankly