Electrical malfunction likely cause of St. Elmo fire - WRCBtv.com | Chattanooga News, Weather & Sports

Electrical malfunction likely cause of St. Elmo fire

Posted: Updated:
CHATTANOOGA, TN (WRCB) -

An electrical malfunction is the likely cause of a house fire Tuesday on St. Elmo Avenue.


It happened around 2:30.  A male resident in the house told the Chattanooga Fire Department that he was installing a washer and dryer when a breaker tripped and the power went off.  When he turned the breaker on, the wiring caught on fire.  He tried to put out the fire himself, but the fire spread inside the wall.  So he and another person got out of the house and called 911.


By the time Chattanooga Fire arrive the blaze had spread to the attic, but they managed to extinguish the fire quickly. 


Damage is estimated at $4,000.  No injuries were reported. 


The cause of the fire is ruled accidental.

Powered by Frankly