UPDATE: Additional charges made against suspect in near-fatal sh - WRCBtv.com | Chattanooga News, Weather & Sports

UPDATE: Additional charges made against suspect in near-fatal shooting

Posted: Updated:

UPDATE: Additional charges have been made against the suspect in a shooting that nearly killed 31-year-old Marcus Keith.

Shanon Frank Ketchersid, 35, is now charged with attempted first degree murder and possession of a firearm during commission of a felony. He was originally arrested on a felony reckless endangerment charge.

According to an affidavit filed in Hamilton County Criminal Court, police responded to 6809 Pine Drive on reports a person was shot just after midnight on April 3. 

Officers say Marcus Keith had been shot in the abdomen. Ketchersid was found in the Pine Street home taking a shower and washing blood off his body. Investigators found the clothes he had been wearing hidden under a bed.

Ketchersid’s girlfriend, who was in the home at the time of the argument, told police she attempted to break up the fight and move Ketchersid into the home. That’s when she says he grabbed a handgun. She noted he had been drinking prior to the shooting.

Keith told police that Ketchersid charged at him with the gun and fired a shot to his abdomen.

Another man was injured in a fight during the incident.

Ketchersid is being held on a more than $600,000 bond. He's due in Judge Bales' courtroom April 14.

PREVIOUS STORY: One man critically injured in a shooting Friday is now in stable condition.

The shooting happened on Pine Street and left 31-year-old Marcus Keith wounded.

"Anytime you get a phone call like that in the middle of the night, it tears the family up," said Keith's Father-in-law, Clay Ingle.

Friday morning was a roller-coaster of emotions, as family stood by- wondering if Keith would make it through the next few hours.

"The initial info was that it was a life threatening condition and very critical. It was a long surgery to take care of him and get him where he is now," said Ingle.

Keith had suffered from a near-fatal wound to the torso. "He had gone to a friend's house to visit. What ensued from there, police are still investigating," said Ingle.

Ingle says he is regaining memory of the event, slowly piecing it together. The family believes Keith had just broken up a fight when he was shot. "You try to do good and sometimes this evil world just jumps up and gets ya," said Ingle.

Police arrested 35-year-old Shanon Ketchersid. He's charged with felony reckless endangerment

A minor was also involved, but was only in a fight and is expected to be okay.

On Sunday, the family was staying positive, and thankful their loved one made it through, finally in stable condition.

"He's upbeat and doing well and hopefully will progress and will be coming home," said Ingle.

Ingle says Keith still has a long road to go with the possibility of more surgeries in his future.

He credits Keith's life being saved to the Hamilton County EMS and Fire Department.

Powered by Frankly