FIRST ON 3: High-speed police chase ends with crash in Walker Co - | Chattanooga News, Weather & Sports

FIRST ON 3: High-speed police chase ends with crash in Walker County

Posted: Updated:
Walker County Sheriff's Office deputies at the crash scene Friday. photo Walker County Sheriff's Office deputies at the crash scene Friday. photo

UPDATE: Take a look the at dash cam video from a high speed chase that crossed county lines. Folks that live and work along hwy 41 had a front row seat to all of the action.

"We saw three go down, and we were like "I wondered what happened," said Casey Rogers, Eyewitness.

The owner of a Ford Ranger called 911 to report it stolen. It wasn't long before law enforcement spotted the truck in Walker County. Deputies closed in fast, but the driver, Charles Burgess refused to stop, leading multiple agencies on a high speed chase through Walker County, into Whitfield County. Georgia State Patrol joined the chase. In the video, you can see GSP initiate a pit maneuver, and that's when the chase comes to an end. Officers get out the car and draw their weapons.

"I just had to get the violator stopped as quickly as possible before anybody gets hurt, “said Michael Best, trooper, GSP.

Casey Rogers works at Mapco close by. She was concerned about the safety of her customers.

"Stay in here, it will be ok, don't run outside, don't go to the left," said Rogers.

Rogers was glad to see the chase all come to an end. The truck is badly damaged. Investigators are trying to figure out why Burgess ran.

From the back seat of a patrol car Burgess told Channel 3 someone set him up.

Now GSP told Channel 3 that they believe Burgess was on methamphetamine when they caught him. Burgess also had warrants out for his arrest for stealing another car on a previous occasion. Burgess sits in the Whitfield County Jail tonight. No officers were injured in the crash.


UPDATE: What began as a call about a stolen vehicle turned into a high-speed police chase involving several agencies Friday morning in Walker County.

The chase, which began near LaFayette and traveled nearly 20 miles, ended when Georgia State Patrol trooper initiated what is called a “pit” maneuver to stop the Ford Ranger. That's a "precision immobilization technique," a tactic used by law enforcement to stop a fleeing car, making it turn sideways abruptly and stop the vehicle.

The pursuit, which topped speeds of nearly 90 mph, ended in a crash near the intersection of Rock Hill Road and Georgia State Route 3 between Tunnel Hill and Rocky Face.

The driver of the Ford ranger is Charles Burgess, age 31. He has been taken to the Whitfield County jail and declined emergency assistance.

No officers were injured in the chase.

Channel 3 was the only crew on the scene this morning, and we'll have more for you tonight on Eyewitness News.
Powered by Frankly