UPDATE: Korean Soldier's remains laid to rest - WRCBtv.com | Chattanooga News, Weather & Sports

UPDATE: Korean Soldier's remains laid to rest

Posted: Updated:
MARION COUNTY, TN (WRCB) - UPDATE: Veterans, community members, and family gathered in Jasper, Tennessee, to pay their respects to a prisoner of war veteran returned home, after 64 years.

Private First Class Lotchie Jones went missing in action while serving in the Korean War, he was 17.  His family had always wondered what happened to him, until just last month when his remains were identified.  His family gathered in nashville Wednesday, his nephew, and namesake, tells us it was a surreal moment, to be with Lotchie's only living brother and sister, as the wheels touched down, and the casket was carried off the plane.


UPDATE: POW Private First Class Lotchie Jones' remains will be flown into Nashville on Wednesday, March 4th at 10 a.m. according to the family.

The visitation and funeral service will be held at Tate Funeral Home in Jasper, TN on Thursday, March 5th from 1 p.m. until 9 p.m.

There will be a graveside service on Friday, March 6th at the National Cemetery in Chattanooga. A time is TBD.

Governor Bill Haslam has declared it a day of mourning.


One Marion County family is finding peace after remains were found of their loved one who went missing in combat 64-years ago.

Private First Class Lotchie Jones was fighting in Unsan, Korea when he was last seen.

"I just wonder what it would have been like, growing up together; and how it would have been to have families and stuff together. It would have been wonderful," said Mamie Lou Jones.

Mamie Lou thinks often about her older brother Lotchie, who went off to war when she was 15.

"He was just 17-years-old and he wanted to join the Army and my parents let him. They signed for him to go," said Mamie Lou.

Little did she know, that that would be the last time she would ever see him, after he was sent to Korea.

All 5 of Mamie Lou's brothers served in the military. Private First Class Lotchie was the only one who didn't make it home after serving.

"It was just the most devastating thing I'd ever seen for my mother and father," said Mamie Lou. "They got a letter saying he was missing in action. That's when we knew something was wrong."

It's been a mystery for 64-years, never knowing what really happened to her beloved brother.

"I could just never understand how someone could just disappear right off the face of the earth," said Mamie Lou.

After years of wondering and heartache, an official letter came in the mail, saying their questions had been answered. Her brother had been found.

"This is the most wonderful news that I have ever seen in 70-years," said Mamie Lou. "My parents, Lord they would have died to know this. They never believed up until they died that he was ever really dead. They thought he was still alive somewhere."

The family learned he was a prisoner of war for at least two years, until he died on December 31st, 1953. His body was placed at the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific as an unidentified soldier.

While, it isn't the reunion Mamie Lou had hoped for over the last 64-years, she says she still can't wait to finally have him back home.

"I'm thankful and I'm glad. I loved that boy,” said Mamie Lou. "He'll be put to rest right here where he was born."

The family has not made official arrangements for the funeral at this time.

Powered by Frankly