Bobcats fall to Hines Prep 80-74 - | Chattanooga News, Weather & Sports

Bobcats fall to Hines Prep 80-74

Posted: Updated:
ROSSVILLE,GA ( Hines Prep Academy (N.C.) Knights arrived in Rossville a little later than expected Friday night, but made up for it by staying a little late.

In what turned out to be a thrilling contest, the Knights held Georgia Northwestern without a field goal in overtime and left town with an 80-74 victory at the Rossville Athletic Center.

Hines led 30-17 at the midway point of the first half, but the Bobcats battled their way back, thanks to the long-range shooting of freshman Cameron Sherlin. The Heritage High product went 5-of-10 from behind the arc in the first half and his fifth trey with 19 seconds left sliced the Knights' lead to 36-35.

However, the Bobcats gave up a free throw and a dunk off a turnover underneath their own basket with just four seconds remaining until halftime and went into the locker room down 39-35.

Hines led 45-44 with 17 minutes to play when they began to dominate the boards. They used their advantage in a 12-2 run that gave them a 57-46 lead with 10 minutes remaining.

Needing a spark, the Bobcats turned to their press and found the answer with a 15-4 run over the next 2:30 that knotted the game at 61 apiece.

The score was tied at 65 with four minutes to go when Veshawn Bell drained a three from the wing that gave Georgia Northwestern its first lead, 68-65, with 3:20 left.

However, a questionable call with 1:29 remaining would turn the tide of the game.

With his team leading 69-67, Bobcats post player Dustin Stanley grabbed a rebound and was attempting to clear some space for himself when he was called for an elbow. The referee then labeled the offensive foul as a Flagrant 1, giving the Knights two free throws and possession of the ball. The call, the fifth foul on Stanley, incensed the Bobcats coaching staff, bench and many Bobcat supporters in the crowd.

Rafael Horton made one of the two free throws, but Georgia Northwestern caught a break when the Knights missed a lay-up and a tip-in on the ensuing possession. The Bobcats knocked the ball out of bounds in the scramble for the loose ball, but Sherlin came up with a steal seconds later and got the ball to Shropshire, who was fouled with 38 seconds to play.

But Shropshire made just one of his two free tosses and on Hines' next possession, Alex Coggins fired a bullet pass to David Tripp under the basket for a lay-up that tied the game at 70 with 27 seconds left.

With the clock winding down, Sherlin drove to the basket and drew contact as he hit the floor, but the officials called him for traveling, giving the ball back to the Knights. Tight defense by Ricky Cardoza in the waning seconds prevented Hines from getting off a potential game-winning shot.

However, with Stanley on the bench, the Knights took advantage in the extra session. Tripp would get in the lane for a pair of buckets to give his team a 75-71 lead and the Bobcats would be called for traveling again with 1:35 to play.

The final 48 seconds would be a free throw shooting contest with the Knights making 5-of-10, while the Bobcats were 3-for-3. Georgia Northwestern would briefly cut the lead to three with 26 seconds left, but Horton would make three of his last four attempts to seal the win.

Bell finished with 19 points, including three 3-pointers, to go with eight rebounds. Sherlin added 17 points, but had just two free throws in the second half. Shropshire went for 13 points and eight assists, while Devin Watkins had 12 points and six rebounds. Stanley had a big game in the paint with 11 points and 16 rebounds before fouling out.

Tripp and Tyrese Harvey had 21 points each for the Knights, while Coggins adding 18 points and seven assists.

Georgia Northwestern will not take the court again until Jan. 13 when they host West Georgia Tech at the Rossville Athletic Center.

Powered by Frankly