UPDATE: House fire kills one, another escapes through window - WRCBtv.com | Chattanooga News, Weather & Sports

UPDATE: House fire victim identified

Posted: Updated:
Courtesy: Capt. Chris Fryar Courtesy: Capt. Chris Fryar
Courtesy: Bruce Garner, PIO Chattanooga Fire Dept. Courtesy: Bruce Garner, PIO Chattanooga Fire Dept.
Courtesy: Kerra Parks Courtesy: Kerra Parks

UPDATE: The Hamilton County Medical Examiner's Office has identified the victim of Monday's fire as 25-year-old Courtney D. Godwin.

Dr. Steve Cogswell said Godwin died from smoke inhalation.

Haley Neal, the woman who escaped the fire by climbing out a window, was released from Erlanger Medical Center overnight after being treated for smoke inhalation.
The fire's cause is still under investigation by Captain Anthony Moore and Lt. Henry McElvain with the Fire Investigation Division.

The Major Crimes Division with the Chattanooga Police Department is also involved in the investigation, which is standard protocol when fatalities or serious injuries are involved.
Bruce Garner, the CFD's Public Information Officer says this is the first fire-related fatality this year in Chattanooga.

Fire investigators are looking into what caused a fatal fire Monday night in Chattanooga.

Firefighters found the home at 1332 Highland Way fully engulfed in flames shortly after 8 p.m. Monday. They tried to search for victims but the heat and flames were so intense, they had to fight it defensively from the outside.

Once the fire was under control, fire crews entered the home again and found a body in the back bedroom.

Haley Neal, 29, told investigators she had barely escaped through a window. She was released from Erlanger Tuesday morning after being treated for smoke inhalation.

"Her face was all black with soot. It was just the saddest thing. And especially knowing there was another, somebody's baby in that house," said neighbor Candice Bolus.

Bolus told Channel 3 she heard 3-4 loud, consecutive explosions Monday night.

The cause of the fire remains under investigation.

PREVIOUS STORY:  One person is confirmed dead and another injured in a house fire on Highland Way in Hixson. 

The first call to 911 came in around 8:16 p.m. of a structure fire with entrapment. 

When Chattanooga firefighters arrived on the scene the house was fully in engulfed in flames.  Firefighters tried to enter the building to search for victimsbut a fire official says the heat and flames were so intense that it was too dangerous for firefighters to go in.  Firefighters were ordered to pull back and fight the fire defensively to keep the fire from spreading to other houses. 

After firefighters had the majority of the fire out, they found a body in a back bedroom.  Another person reportedly escaped the blaze before firefighters arrived.  

Twenty-nine-year old Haley Neal told investigators she barely escaped through a bedroom window.  She was taken to the hospital for treatment from smoke inhalation and released, according to the Chattanooga Fire Department's Bruce Garner.

The cause of the fire is under investigation. 

Powered by Frankly