Georgia fire officials offer heating safety tips
SAVANNAH, Ga. (AP) - Savannah fire officials are offering Georgians tips to stay safe while heating their homes as cold weather moves into the region.
Officials warn against using extension cords to power space heaters and say fuel powered heating devices should never be used indoors. Gas powered heaters release carbon monoxide, an odorless gas that can be fatal.
Fire officials say Georgians should also change the batteries in their smoke detectors, press the test button once monthly to ensure that it works and clear spider webs, dust and other obstructions from around the detectors to let air flow inside.
Officials say families should also discuss and practice fire escape plans to identify potential problems that could arise in the event of an emergency.
Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.