Retired assistant chief shoots stepson during domestic incident, - | Chattanooga News, Weather & Sports

UPDATE: Retired CPD assistant chief shoots stepson during argument

Posted: Updated:
CHATTANOOGA, TN (WRCB) - UPDATE: "When I was leaving to go to work I saw a fire truck and an ambulance sitting right at the intersection of Hixson Pike and Engelwood. And a police car pulled up in front of the house down the street from here," said David Barry, neighbor.

David Barry's neighborhood was a flurry of activity Sunday morning. Police say his neighbor, retired Assistant Chattanooga Police Chief Kirk Eidson, got into a scuffle with his 18-year-old step-son, Robert Ingle. At some point Eidson shot his stepson in the leg.

"I assumed it was probably some kind of health emergency or something like that, because that's just not something that happens on this street," Barry.

Eidson told police Ingle showed up at the house demanding the keys to his truck.

He says as Ingle started to "rush him" he pulled a gun out of his pocket, telling Ingle he "did not want to shoot him."

But Eidson told to investigators on his front porch the day of the shooting, said Ingle "came toward him again" with a raised fist.

He says they both "bumped" the gun and it went off, shooting Ingle in his right leg.

The affidavit states Eidson "rendered first aid" and ran outside to call police but Ingle followed him.

A next door neighbor told police she heard yelling and screaming and looked out the window to see Ingle throw a flower pot at Eidson, as he got in his truck to drive away.

Channel 3 stopped by Eidson's house Monday, but no one was home.

It's not the first time police have been called to the house.

Earlier this year, Eidson called police when Ingle reportedly attacked his mother.

No charges were filed in that incident.

But overall, neighbors we spoke with, were surprised to learn what happened.

"I've seen them out there in their yard, you know, cutting their grass, doing what normal folks do," said Barry.

Robert Ingle's injuries are not serious.

He's charged with domestic assault and vandalism.

He's being held on a $10,000 bond and will go before a judge September 22.

PREVIOUS STORY: A retired Chattanooga police assistant chief told responding officers that he shot his stepson after the teen came at him with a closed fist.

Kirk Eidson, 59, who retired from the department last year after working 28 years, shot 18-year-old Robert Camron Ingle Sunday afternoon, according to the affidavit of complaint. Ingle is autistic.

As of early Monday morning, Ingle remained in jail on a $10,000 bond facing vandalism and domestic assault charges.

Ingle reportedly showed up at their family residence in the 1000 block of Englewood Avenue asking for a ride to another property they own. As Eidson was getting dressed, Ingle reportedly rushed him.

Eidson told officers he had a handgun in his pocket which he pulled and had down at his side. He told Ingle to leave.

"The victim advised he did not want to shoot [Ingle]," the affidavit states.

Ingle came at him with a raised fist. When the two collided, the gun went off wounding Ingle in the right leg above the knee.

Eidson went to the porch of the residence and Ingle reportedly hurled a flower pot at him. Eidson then got into his pickup and left. He also phoned police. A neighbor nearby witnessed the commotion.

Ingle, who suffered non life threatening injures, is scheduled to appear Sept. 22 before Hamilton County Sessions Court Judge Clarence Shattuck.

Stay with Channel 3 and for more on this developing story.

PREVIOUS STORY: Chattanooga Police are investigating a shooting on Englewood Avenue.

Just before 9:30 Sunday morning, police arrived at 1049 Englewood Avenue on reports of a gunshot wound involving one victim.  

The victim was transported to a local hospital suffering from a non-life-threatening gunshot wound.

Chattanooga police ask anyone with information regarding this crime to call 423-698-2525.  

The investigation is ongoing.

Powered by Frankly