Dryer fire displaces 18 people in Chattanooga - WRCBtv.com | Chattanooga News, Weather & Sports

Dryer fire displaces 18 people in Chattanooga

Posted: Updated:
CHATTANOOGA, TN (WRCB) -

A Thursday morning fire at the Rustic Village North on Sunflower Lane has displaced 18 people due to the extremely high levels of carbon monoxide lingering after the fire.

Chattanooga Fire Department Public Information Director Bruce Garner said in a news release that the fire started in or near the laundry room by a dryer in Apartment 304.

The fire has been ruled as accidental.

The fire was contained to the single unit, but the  gas monitors used by the firefighters detected the carbon monoxide, and the affected residents were advised to not re-enter the building until later on Friday.

The American Red Cross of Southeast Tennessee stepped in to help the residents; nearly all of the 18 people temporarily displaced have other resources and could stay elsewhere.

Several pets were also displaced, and are temporarily in the care of McKamey Animal Center.

Powered by Frankly