Five-year-old starts house fire; displaces family of six - WRCBtv.com | Chattanooga News, Weather & Sports

Five-year-old starts house fire; displaces family of six

Posted: Updated:
CHATTANOOGA, TN (WRCB) - A late night fire Wednesday displaced a family of six on Ivy Street in Chattanooga.

As firefighters arrived about 11:30pm Wednesday, smoke was showing and firefighters found a small fire  in one of the home's bedrooms.

The fire was extinguished quickly, with no injuries, according to a news release from the Chattanooga Fire Department.

Smoke and water damaged the adjoining rooms, with an estimated damage cost of $6,000.

CFD Battalion Chief Nate Middlebrooks said the fire was started by a five-year-old boy, who used a cigarette lighter or matches to  set a bed on fire.

Displaced by the fire is one adult and five children. The American Red Cross of Southeast Tennessee responded to the scene to provide assistance to the family.



Powered by Frankly