Accidental kitchen fire causes $65K estimated damage - WRCBtv.com | Chattanooga News, Weather & Sports

Accidental kitchen fire causes $65K estimated damage

Posted: Updated:
Source: Chattanooga Fire Department Source: Chattanooga Fire Department
CHATTANOOGA, TN (WRCB) - The Chattanooga Fire Department tells Channel 3 a kitchen fire Friday night left a family of five homeless. 

Fire investigators received the call around 8 p.m. and responded to 3223 Navajo Drive with four fire companies.

Upon arrival investigators saw fire and heavy smoke coming from the roof and said the initial reports from the 911 call was that there was a house fire with entrapment. 

As firefighters worked to get the blaze under control, one of the firefighters found the family pet dog and carried it outside. The dog appeared to be uninjured.

Captain Fryar said the fire started in the kitchen, but had spread into the attic and even broke through the roof.

Firefighters were able to get the blaze under control in about 20 minutes. 

No injuries were reported.

Family members told firefighters that hot grease on the stove caught fire and quickly spread up the wall and into the attic. 

The cause of the fire was ruled accidental. The dollar loss was estimated at $65,000. 

Volunteers with the American Red Cross of Southeast Tennessee were called in to provide assistance to the adult and four children who lived there.

Chattanooga police and Hamilton County EMS also provided assistance on the scene.
Powered by Frankly