UPDATE: Eric Redden, the former Graysville Police Chief, pleaded guilty to two counts of official misconduct this morning in Rhea County Criminal Court.

Redden will return to court for sentencing on May 5 at 1:00pm.

PREVIOUS STORY: A local police chief is behind bars. The TBI spent several months investigating Graysville Police Chief Jason Erik Redden, which has now resulted in his arrest.

A grand jury indicted him on seven counts of official misconduct and three counts of theft. Controversy has been brewing since last August when the allegations first came to light. Now ten months later, elected officials are staying tight-lipped, but residents aren't.

"There's a lot of us that feel safer now that he's in jail," Graysville resident Danny Shipley said.

Chief Redden turned himself into the Rhea County Jail when the indictment against him came down Monday and news spread fast.

"I'd rather have nobody than him," Graysville resident Lisa Brooks said.

TBI Special Agents say they revealed more than $4,128 in missing seized money, a video showing Redden taking tools from a truck being held in evidence, and info that he took three other vehicles from evidence and either sold, or returned them to their original owners.

"For a while we really thought he was going to get away with it," Brooks said.

Over the last ten months, residents packed several heated meetings, starting when the commission voted to keep Redden on the job during the investigation. Some city workers opposed the decision and have since quit or been fired.

Early in the investigation, Chief Redden told Channel 3 he was not worried about the allegations.

"There's not much to say about it. It's just people's opinions," Graysville Police Chief Erik Redden said in a Sept. 2013 interview.

Some residents think his arrest is the start of several changes to come for Graysville government.

"There's a lot of commissioners in now that have lost a lot of people's votes over this next election," Shipley said.

Mayor Ted Doss declined an on camera interview, saying he still needs to sit down to discuss the next course of action with City Attorney Carol Ann Barron. She also refused to comment on the situation.

As of now, Redden is still the chief of police. He bonded out of jail at four o'clock Tuesday afternoon.