Gas leak and fire investigation shows lines were marked wrong
The investigation into the gas leak and fire near the Browns Ferry and Patten Chapel Roads on March 12 says that the gas lines were marked incorrectly.
Tennessee American Water issued a news release with the findings Wednesday.
The company contacted Tennessee 811, the underground utility notification center, as required before work began.
PREVIOUS STORY | Construction crew hits gas line, causes explosion
Tennessee American Water crew members started the excavation work to repair a fire hydrant in the area they believed to be safe based on the gas line markings.
The crew hit the gas line, which caused it to erupt and then ignite.
The following investigation determined that the gas line markings were on the wrong side of the fire hydrant and also exceeded the length from the excavation site to the gas line itself.
"We continue to be grateful that neither our employees nor others in the area were harmed. We have every confidence in our employees who are trained and skilled to follow protocol on work sites," says Kevin Rogers, Operations Manager for Tennessee American Water.