Florida State quarterback Jameis Winston, Texas A&M quarterback Johnny Manziel and Alabama quarterback AJ McCarron are finalists for the Maxwell Award, given to college football's player of the year.
Winston, who is being investigated in a sexual assault case by authorities in Tallahassee, Fla., is also up for the Davey O'Brien National Quarterback Award, with McCarron and Manziel.
Manziel won the O'Brien last season, along with the Heisman Trophy.
The finalists for nine awards to be handed out during ESPN's College Football Awards show on Dec. 12 will be announced Monday.
Pittsburgh defensive tackle Aaron Donald is also up for two awards - the Chuck Bednarik Award which goes to the defensive player of the year and the Outland Trophy which goes to the top interior lineman.
UCLA linebacker Anthony Barr and Alabama linebacker C.J. Mosley are the other Bednarik finalists. Texas A&M offensive tackle Jake Matthews and Baylor guard Cyril Richardson are the other Outland Trophy finalists.
Winston, Manziel, McCarron finalists for Maxwell
FILE - In a Saturday, Nov. 23, 2013 file photo, Florida State quarterback Jameis Winston (5) signs a …
The other awards and finalists:
- Biletnikoff Award (outstanding receiver): Brandin Cooks, Oregon State; Mike Evans, Texas A&M; Sammy Watkins, Clemson.
- Lou Groza Award (outstanding placekicker): Robert Aguayo, Florida State; Anthony Fera, Texas; Marvin Kloss, South Florida.
- Ray Guy Award (punter of the year): Tom Hornsey, Memphis; Drew Kaser, Texas A&M; Cody Webster, Purdue.
- Jim Thorpe Award (best defensive back): Darqueze Dennard, Michigan State; Justin Gilbert, Oklahoma State; Lamarcus Joyner, Florida State.
- Doak Walker Award (premier running back): Ka'Deem Carey, Arizona; Bishop Sankey, Washington; Andre Williams, Boston College.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Can't find what you're looking for?