A 10-year-old girl's apparent drug overdose in Rhea County now has concerned parents speaking out, saying similar things have happened to their children as well.
Debbie Caraway told Eyewitness News her third-grade grandson complained he was dizzy about two weeks ago.
"A boy gave me some '8th-grade candy,'" the child, a student at Graysville Elementary, told her. "He said it's supposed to be like Pop Rocks," said Caraway.
But Pop Rocks, the sugary candy, doesn't have side effects like the boy experienced.
"He was dizzy-headed, he said he felt funny. And his tongue was blistered."
Caraway said a police officer made a report at the hospital, where doctors said the boy tested positive for amphetamines. The boy takesmedication for ADD, Caraway said, but had never acted like that before.
"After I ate it, it didn't taste like Pop Rocks," the boy told his grandmother. He said it had a "powdery taste to it," Caraway said.
It's concerning for parents like April Clement. Her children ride the same bus as the boy who said he tried "8th-grade candy."
"I definitely never thought something like that would happen here," Clement said, sparking a conversation with her children about the dangers of taking candy from others.
"People can put drugs in anything and give them to you without knowing it," Clement told her kids. She's hoping other parents start doing the same.
Rhea County investigators tell Eyewitness News they do not believe the recent incidents are related. They are beginning to follow leads in the Spring City child's overdose, and said the young girl's full drug test results are expected to come back Friday.