Chattanooga Fire Department offers tips to prevent fire - WRCBtv.com | Chattanooga News, Weather & Sports

Chattanooga Fire Department offers tips to prevent fire during cold months

Posted: Updated:
CHATTANOOGA, TN (WRCB) -

The season is officially fall, and as the temperatures go down, heater use goes up.

The Chattanooga Fire Department wants the public to be aware that the longer heaters are used, the more opportunity there is for fire.

They have a few safety tips to be aware of to stay safe during the cold weather.

Make sure your furnace is serviced and chimneys and vents are clean.

Use a glass or metal screen in front of a fireplace to prevent sparks from igniting carpets or nearby furniture, and dispose of hot ash in a metal container away from structures.

Make sure that anything that can burn is at least three feet away from wall and floor heaters as well as space heaters.

Never use a range or oven to heat a home or building.

Plug electric space heaters directly into a wall receptacle. Never plug it into an extension cord.
Refuel kerosene heaters outside and never while it's on or hot, and make sure to follow manufacturer's instructions when using them.

Never use fuel burning appliances without proper room venting.

Do not overload any electrical outlet or power strip. Be sure all cords are not frayed or stripped.
If you have fuel burning appliances, install carbon monoxide detectors on every level of your home.

Make sure you have a fire escape plan for your family. You should have two ways out of every room, and two ways out of your home.

Powered by WorldNow
Can't find what you're looking for?

WRCB-TV
900 Whitehall Road
Chattanooga, TN 37405
(423) 267-5412

WRCB Jobs EEO | FCC Public Files

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WRCB. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.