Rossville man accused of abusing two-month-old son - | Chattanooga News, Weather & Sports

Rossville man accused of abusing two-month-old son

Posted: Updated:

The Rossville Police Department is looking into a case where a father is accused of abusing his two-month-old son. The boy's grandmother called Walker County 911 last month telling dispatchers the baby was not breathing. An abuse investigation began after the child arrived at the hospital.

Once at the hospital, workers took an X-ray of the two-month-old, to make sure a ventilator tube was in the right place. It revealed the baby had a broken rib. After further testing, doctors found he had four broken ribs, seven leg fractures, bleeding in his eyes and his brain. On September 30th, 34-year-old Christopher Hargis was arrested.

The following is part of the 911 call made the day the little boy was rushed to the hospital.

"Dispatcher: Walker 911.
Grandmother: I need 911 real bad. My baby is not breathing."

While the grandmother of the two-month-old boy called 911 for help, you hear Christopher Hargis in the background, yelling for his baby to wake up.

"Christopher Hargis: Come on! Wake up, baby! Wake up! Wake up! Move!   
Dispatcher: Ma'am, is the child breathing?
Grandmother: No. He's not. (inaudible)
Dispatcher: Ok. Did he choke on anything?
Grandmother: No. We were changing his diaper and he just went out. He's convulsing or something, Chris.
Dispatcher: Ok, he is breathing?
Grandmother: No, he just jumped.
Christopher Hargis: Come on baby!"

With the baby on the kitchen table, the dispatcher tells Hargis to try and breath for the baby. Then he tells him to start performing CPR.

"Dispatcher: Do about 30 compressions to two breaths, ok?
Grandmother: When are they going to get here?
Dispatcher: Ma'am, they're on their way."

Moments later, Rossville Police arrive.

"Dispatcher: Is the officer doing CPR?
Grandmother: Yes.
Dispatcher: Ok, the officer is doing CPR?
Grandmother: Yes.
Dispatcher: Ok, we should have rescue and EMS there in just a moment, ok?"

Channel 3 stopped by Hargis' home. Someone was there but did not answer the door.

Hargis told police his son had been crying "non-stop for three days." He said when he was changing his diaper, all the sudden he stopped breathing. On the day of the 911 call, Hargis posted on his public Facebook page: "at tc Thompson's my son needs prayers he's 2 months old and in icu in a coma."

After hospital workers discovered the infant had multiple leg fractures, broken ribs, and bleeding around the brain, Hargis was arrested and charged with aggravated battery and cruelty to children.

The detective on the case says all indicators show the boy's injuries happened right before he stopped breathing.

Two days after the 911 call was made, three other children living in the home were placed into state custody. Hargis made his $25,000 bond and was released from jail this week.  At last check, the baby is still in critical condition on life support. Investigators say the case is still ongoing and Hargis could face more charges.

Powered by WorldNow
Can't find what you're looking for?

900 Whitehall Road
Chattanooga, TN 37405
(423) 267-5412

WRCB Jobs EEO | FCC Public Files

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WRCB. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.