Bradley County students busted for drugs has parents worried
School Resource Officers were alerted Thursday morning in Bradley County when teachers reported two students had ingested a hallucinogenic drug.
It happened at Bradley Central High School.
Both students were taken to Skyridge Medical Center for treatment.
A Sheriff's Office investigation revealed the students took a substance believed to be 25-C NBOMe, a hallucinogen police say they got after they arrived at school.
It's a drug that police say is newer than most, it's known as "Boom" or "C-boom".
According to the Drug Enforcement Administration, at least 14 individuals in the U.S. between March 2012 and April 2013 died from the drug.
Jessica Bittke says she tries to stay ahead of the game and educate herself on the latest drug trends in order to keep an eye out for her kids.
"It's hard, a lot harder than when we were teenagers. There was stuff in high school but nothing like there is now," said Bittke.
These days kids are experimenting with a drug called Boom or C-boom. It's described as having the same effects as LSD
"It's slightly less potent, but still very harmful if taken in the wrong amount," said Phillip Smith, pharmacist.
Which Smith says, isn't hard to do.
"Even in small doses, if you've never had it before it can cause extreme mental and physical episodes," said Smith.
"Heart failure, brain bleeds, of course it can kill you too," said Smith.
Smith says parents should be on the lookout for the drug that comes in various forms.
"They're called blotter papers and that's what typically kids are going to have. They may have pictures of cartoons on them or rainbows," said Smith.
We learned it also comes in the form of eye drops and powder.
"Anything like that needs to immediately be addressed with a child because it is so dangerous," said Smith.
Smith says parents should be talking with their kids.
"I think you need to let your kids know, ‘hey this is what it is, it's out there and this is why you shouldn't do it'," said Smith.
Bittke says the key is for parents to teach kids how to make good choices.
"No matter how much you tell them, it's going to be their choice they make and you just have to hope they make the right one," said Bittke.
Both students are expected to recover.
The Bradley County Sheriff's Office will pursue charges against three students who were involved in the distribution of the drug.