Massacre attack plan foiled - WRCBtv.com | Chattanooga News, Weather & Sports

Massacre attack plan foiled

Posted: Updated:
Jack Harry Stiles Jack Harry Stiles

SALT LAKE CITY (KSL) - Criminal charges were filed Monday against a Utah man who prosecutors say planned to "kill as many people as possible" this week at a downtown Salt Lake City mall and Sugar House movie theater.

Jack Harry Stiles, 42, was charged in 3rd District Court with threat of terrorism, a second-degree felony. His bail was set at $1 million.

Stiles had "specific, detailed plans to engage in a mass shooting" on Sept. 25, the anniversary of his mother's death, according to the charging documents. He allegedly told investigators that his plan included purchasing two automatic handguns with silencers and five extra magazines, and he had already "scoped and mapped out the best spots to hide that will still allow him to kill the most amount of people."

His targets included City Creek Center, where he planned to "just randomly shoot and kill people" during lunch time, the charges state. He also targeted Sugarhouse Movies 10 where he had already scoped out the exits in the theater and planned to "shoot people's heads off" from the back of the room, prosecutors said.

Stiles allegedly said he planned to do that shooting in the early afternoon because if it was too busy, "people will run everywhere making it difficult for him to select and shoot."

His final target was going to be a UTA bus or TRAX train where he planned to place a bomb under the bus and have it detonate on Main Street right when it went under the pedestrian walkway at City Creek Center, according to the charges. Police say Stiles had been researching bomb construction.

Stiles allegedly also said he would "randomly kill people until he runs out of ammunition," but also noted that if police responded, he would surrender because they are "faster shots."

Read more at KSL's website. http://bit.ly/1fz1FEm

Powered by Frankly