Chicken temporarily off UTC menu after 25 diners experience 'digestive distress'
Chicken is temporarily off the menu at the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga's most popular cafeteria because it's suspected of causing severe "digestive distress" for 25 students and staff who ate there.
Prolonged diarrhea, fever, abdominal cramping, nausea, vomiting and chills are some of the food-borne illness symptoms that have affected diners since Aug. 20, according to a university news release.
The Chattanooga-Hamilton County Health Department suspects that the confirmed cases of salmonella and campylobacter bacterial food poisoning stem from chicken served at Crossroads Dining Hall, a $3.1 million facility that opened in August 2011 on the ground floor of Guerry Center. The facility was funded entirely by Aramark Food Services, which operates UTC's dining facilities.
"All of the ill [people] had that in common: That they ate at Crossroads," said Nettie Gerstle, the health department's communicable disease control program manager.
Read more from our news partner the Times Free Press.