Trion man hospitalized from venomous caterpillar sting - WRCBtv.com | Chattanooga News, Weather & Sports

Trion man hospitalized from venomous caterpillar sting

Posted: Updated:
The Summerville News The Summerville News
TRION, GA (WRCB) -

A Trion man was hospitalized Thursday when he was stung by a Pus Moth Caterpillar.

According to the Summerville News, Jeffrey Gazaway was working at White's Sanitation when he walked by a willow tree and the venomous insect stung him.

Gazaway thought he was having a heart attack due to the intense pain and experienced slurred speech and discoloration in his eyes.

He was rushed to the hospital. Doctors were not sure what was wrong with him until Gazaway's wife showed them the caterpillar which she had put in a jar.

He was treated with Benadryl and painkillers.

According to Wikipedia, the insect's spines are venomous and medical attention should be sought within hours if stung.

Powered by WorldNow
Can't find what you're looking for?

WRCB-TV
900 Whitehall Road
Chattanooga, TN 37405
(423) 267-5412

WRCB Jobs EEO | FCC Public Files

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WRCB. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.