Couple gets caught in the middle of high speed chase - | Chattanooga News, Weather & Sports

Couple gets caught in the middle of high speed chase


It started at Tiffany's Nail Salon in Chattanooga when an unknown suspect came into the salon demanding money and cell phones.

I spoke with the owner of the shop who didn't want to speak on camera. He told me nearly 20 customers where in the salon at the time.

He said the suspect left with over $100 from the salon alone.

But the owner, workers and customers weren't the only ones caught off guard by the suspect Saturday night.

Jason Wells tells me he and his wife were on a date night when they got involved in voluntarily.

"We end up going down I-75 and there were some officers staged at the bridge on Walnut Avenue," said Wells.

He said he and his wife didn't think anything about it at first.

"As we went on down to connector 3 that's when we saw a trail of blue lights and it was really something. I looked at my wife and said ‘oh man they must be in a high speed chase'," said Wells.

Wells says he attempted to get off the exit ramp in order to get out of the way but was unsuccessful. The runaway patrol car was already too close.

"I start slowing down a bit and look back and he's on me hard. The only thing I could think of was speed up, get out of the way," said Wells.

That's when wells says he was hit.

"This guy hammers me, throws me over. We miss the guard rail," said Wells.

Wells says the suspect took the car into the ditch, but continued on up the bank and got off the interstate.

"We noticed he cut back right and we knew it'd be an experience for him because that was a dead end road," said Wells.

Wells says he and his wife got away with minor damage to their truck, but are more thankful neither of them were hurt badly.    

"I'm glad this ended without incident to other individuals and to law enforcement. I'm glad everybody came out of it mostly unharmed," said Wells.

Wells tells me his wife was taken to the hospital to be checked out and was sent home with a clean bill of health.

He said he was just glad their kids weren't with them.

The name of the suspect has not been released at this time.

The investigation is ongoing.

Powered by Frankly