Toddler dies after eating laundry detergent pod - WRCBtv.com | Chattanooga News, Weather & Sports

Toddler dies after eating laundry detergent pod

Posted: Updated:

KISSIMMEE, FL (WESH)  A 7-month-old Kissimmee, Florida child died after eating a laundry detergent pod that was left on a bed Friday.

According to police, the child and the child's mother live in a battered women's shelter.

The mother took the pod and put it on the bed where the child was sleeping, and she stepped out of the room for a moment to speak with a shelter official.

When she went back to the room, the child was eating the detergent, police said. The child was rushed to the hospital where he died.

Since last year, thousands of children have become sick after ingesting detergent pods.

Some are shiny, colorful and tasty-looking to children.

Parents are concerned about the pods, since officials recorded more than 6,000 reports of children getting sick after being exposed to the packets.

Read more at WESH's website.

Powered by WorldNow
Can't find what you're looking for?

WRCB-TV
900 Whitehall Road
Chattanooga, TN 37405
(423) 267-5412

WRCB Jobs EEO | FCC Public Files

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WRCB. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.