Teenager burned in cooking fire
A 16-year-old girl was burned Sunday night when a pan of grease ignited on the stove.
The fire at 2626 N. Orchard Knob Avenue required the Chattanooga Fire Department to respond with four fire companies.
Captain Will Andrews, with Chattanooga Fire Department's Engine 4 said the teen tried to put the grease fire out by putting water on it. Because of this, the teen sustained first and second degree burns to both hands, a wrist and her right leg.
The victim was transported to Erlanger Medical Center, and later flown to the Joseph M. Still Burn Center in Augusta, Georgia. Her injuries were not thought to be life-threatening.
Captain Andrews said the fire was extinguished when firefighters arrived. The dollar loss was estimated at $2,000.
The cause of the fire will be ruled accidental, most likely from unattended cooking.
The Chattanooga Fire Department has safety tips related for grease fires:
- Never leave cooking unattended on the stove.
- Always keep a potholder, oven mitt and lid handy. If a small grease fire starts in a pan, put on an oven mitt and smother the flames by carefully sliding the lid over the pan. Turn off the burner. Don't remove the lid until it is completely cool.
- Never pour water on a grease fire and never discharge a fire extinguisher onto a pan fire, as it can spray or shoot burning grease around the kitchen, actually spreading the fire.
- If in doubt about your ability to put the fire out, just get everyone out of the building and call 911.