(WRCB) -- More than two dozen firefighters battled an apartment fire in Etowah Wednesday afternoon.
It happened around 1:00 p.m. in the 500 block of 10th Street.
Jay Thomson with Etowah Fire and Rescue says firefighters were called to a reported grease fire, and spotted flames when they arrived.
About 30 firefighters from Etowah Rural Fire Department, Englewood Rural Fire Department and West Polk Fire-Rescue battled the blaze, which eventually spread to all four units.
Thomson says the fire started when a tenant fell asleep while cooking fries.
The Red Cross is assisting the families.
It happened shortly after 8 p.m. on McCutcheon Road near Lee Highway.
900 Whitehall Road
Chattanooga, TN 37405
WRCB Jobs EEO | FCC Public Files