(WRCB) -- More than two dozen firefighters battled an apartment fire in Etowah Wednesday afternoon.
It happened around 1:00 p.m. in the 500 block of 10th Street.
Jay Thomson with Etowah Fire and Rescue says firefighters were called to a reported grease fire, and spotted flames when they arrived.
About 30 firefighters from Etowah Rural Fire Department, Englewood Rural Fire Department and West Polk Fire-Rescue battled the blaze, which eventually spread to all four units.
Thomson says the fire started when a tenant fell asleep while cooking fries.
The Red Cross is assisting the families.
Sewer lines in Walker County will be getting an upgrade over the next few weeks.
900 Whitehall Road
Chattanooga, TN 37405
WRCB Jobs EEO | FCC Public Files