Juvenile playing with lighter causes house fire
A juvenile playing with a lighter caused a house fire on Perry Street, according to fire officials.
Chattanooga firefighters responded to the call around 6 p.m. Friday. Light smoke was visible upon arrival.
Officials say the blaze was contained to a bedroom and they were able to get it out quickly. The rest of the house sustained smoke and water damage.
Fire officials spoke with the family, and a juvenile admitted to playing with a cigarette lighter. The juvenile said they lit several things on fire on the floor of the bedroom.
Four adults and two children were displaced. Red Cross was called to assist.
The dollar loss was estimated at around $20,000 for the structure and contents.
The Chattanooga Fire Department would like to remind parents that they should keep matches and cigarette lighters out of the reach of small children.