Official: US Special Forces weren't allowed to fly to Benghazi d - WRCBtv.com | Chattanooga News, Weather & Sports

Official: US Special Forces weren't allowed to fly to Benghazi during attack

Posted: Updated:
An armed man waves his rifle as buildings and cars at the U.S. consulate compound are engulfed in flames on Sept. 11, 2012, during an attack by an armed mob. An armed man waves his rifle as buildings and cars at the U.S. consulate compound are engulfed in flames on Sept. 11, 2012, during an attack by an armed mob.

BENGHAZI (NBC) -- Gregory Hicks, then deputy chief of the U.S. diplomatic mission in Libya, told investigators for the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee that US officials had persuaded the Libyan government to allow the Special Forces operatives to board the rescue flight from Tripoli to Benghazi. But an officer received a phone call telling them to stand down before they left for the airport, according to excerpts of his account made available to NBC News on Monday.

Hicks quoted a Special Forces commander as telling him, "I have never been so embarrassed in my life, that a State Department officer has bigger balls than somebody in the military," referring to his willingness to authorize the mission.    

The Special Forces soldiers would have been the second group of U.S. government personnel to travel to Benghazi. Earlier, six Americans flew from Tripoli to Benghazi to attempt to aid the embattled personnel at the diplomatic mission.

Sources told NBC News that Hicks told investigators that the team that was denied permission to fly to Benghazi consisted of just four Special Operations soldiers and that the flight did not arrive in time for their presence to have had an impact in the fighting. Two Americans, including U.S. Ambassador Christopher Stevens, were killed in the initial attack on the Benghazi consulate, which began just before 10 p.m. on Sept. 11. Two former Navy SEALs died in a mortar attack on a nearby U.S. diplomatic annex early on Sept. 12, shortly before the flight from Tripoli arrived.

Hicks also said that the U.S. did not seek permission from the Libyan government to scramble aircraft to respond to the attack, saying he believed that the show of airpower would have intimated the Libyan Islamists blamed for the attack.

"I believe if we had been able to scramble a fighter or aircraft or two over Benghazi as quickly as possible after the attack commenced," said Hicks, "I believe there would not have been a mortar attack on the annex in the morning because I believe the Libyans would have split.  They would have been scared to death that we would have gotten a laser on them and killed them. "

Hicks said that the U.S. never asked permission from the Libyans to enter their airspace, believing Benghazi was too remote a target and that it would take two to three hours to get F-16s in the air. "The answer was, 'It's too far away, there are no tankers, there is nothing that could respond,'" he recalled. 

The only U.S. defenders who arrived in time to battle the insurgents was a small group of men who chartered a plane in Tripoli after the initial assault on the Benghazi consulate and arrived in Benghazi by 1:30 a.m. on Sept. 12, in time to help set up a defense at the diplomatic annex. Ex-SEALs Glen Doherty and Tyrone Woods, were killed in a mortar attack on the compound between 5 and 6 a.m.

A Libyan C-130 transport plane that would've carried the second group of U.S. Special Forces operatives from Tripoli to Benghazi ultimately left Tripoli for Benghazi between 6 and 6:30 a.m., after Doherty and Woods were dead. It later evacuated survivors from the attack.

Two separate U.S. Special Forces teams from elsewhere in Europe were ultimately authorized to respond to the attacks, but did not arrive at staging bases until the evening of Sept. 12, more than 12 hours after the fighting had ended.

In his testimony, Hicks also said he felt the State Department's special Accountability Review Board report on Benghazi, issued in December, was "incomplete."

"The ARB report itself doesn't really ascribe blame to any individual at all," said Hicks. "It does let people off the hook."

Neither the State Department nor the Pentagon had any immediate comment on Hicks' testimony.

In addition to Hicks, the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee is scheduled to hear testimony from Mark Thompson, acting deputy assistant secretary for counterterrorism, and Eric Nordstrom, diplomatic security officer and former regional security officer in Libya.

Both Hicks and Thompson are career State Department employees and described as "whistleblowers" because they say they fear retribution from senior State Department officials.

Neither Hicks nor Thompson had yet spoken publicly about the attacks. Committee Chairman Darrell Issa, R-Calif., called Hicks' testimony "startling." Thompson and Hicks are being represented by high-powered Republican lawyers Joseph diGenova and Victoria Toensing, who have characterized the ARB report as a "coverup"

  • NewsMore>>

  • Tony Stewart back at the track, looking to heal

    Tony Stewart back at the track, looking to heal

    Saturday, August 30 2014 12:20 AM EDT2014-08-30 04:20:07 GMT
    Tony Stewart should be back in his comfort zone at a NASCAR track, ready for racing.More
    Tony Stewart took his seat on the podium - unshaven, his eyes glassy - and unfolded a sheet of paper. His voice quivered as he read, pausing to maintain his composure as he described the death of a driver he hit as "one of...More
  • Grundy Co. Yellow Jackets Marching Band

    Grundy Co. Yellow Jackets Marching Band

    Friday, August 29 2014 11:34 PM EDT2014-08-30 03:34:57 GMT
    The Grundy County High School Band's Director says, "for a little band, they can make a good bit of noise!" To Yellow Jackets faithful and band aficionados, it is sweet music. They serenade us with Rocky Top and are our Band of the Week!More
    The Grundy County High School Band's Director says, "for a little band, they can make a good bit of noise!" To Yellow Jackets faithful and band aficionados, it is sweet music. They serenade us with Rocky Top and are our Band of the Week!More
  • UPDATE: Man killed while mowing grass when truck hit him; 3 teens inside truck also died

    UPDATE: Man killed while mowing grass when truck hit him; 3 teens inside truck also died

    Friday, August 29 2014 11:22 PM EDT2014-08-30 03:22:40 GMT
    4 teens inside truck that killed man on his lawn mower; Pinson only survivor4 teens inside truck that killed man on his lawn mower; Pinson only survivor
    Four teens were inside a vehicle that hit and killed 57-year-old Bryan Bartley while he was mowing grass on Thursday evening. Three teens also died in the tragedy. Alexis Pinson survived the crash and is improving, friends say. More
    Four teens were inside a vehicle that hit and killed 57-year-old Bryan Bartley while he was mowing grass on Thursday evening. Three teens also died in the tragedy. Alexis Pinson survived the crash and is improving, friends say. More
Powered by WorldNow
Can't find what you're looking for?

WRCB-TV
900 Whitehall Road
Chattanooga, TN 37405
(423) 267-5412

WRCB Jobs EEO | FCC Public Files

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WRCB. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.