Fatal flight was the first in new plane - WRCBtv.com | Chattanooga News, Weather & Sports

Fatal flight was the first in new plane

Posted: Updated:

COLLEGEDALE, TN (WRCB) -- The National Transportation Safety Board released its preliminary report on the fatal accident that killed student pilot, 77-year-old David Richardson.

Richardson, of Chattanooga, fell nearly 2,500 feet from his plane while training with another pilot.

The report says the plane was a newly-purchased Andrews Zodiac 601XL, and was tested by the flight instructor twice before the fatal flight. A problem with the plane's canopy was noted.

Before they began the flight, both pilots strapped in carefully, according to the report. Unable to start the plane, the pilots requested assistance from ground crews for a battery to start the plane.

Richardson unbuckled his harness to assist, but didn't exit the aircraft. The report says he re-buckled his harness, but the flight instructor didn't confirm this.

Once aloft, the plane's canopy started making some wind noise, leading the pilots to make efforts to secure it to the plane and return to the airport in Collegedale.

At some point on the return flight, the instructor attempted to pull the canopy down; it opened completely and the plane entered a negative-G dive.

Richardson was lifted from his seat and ejected from the cockpit.

The instructor was able to regain control of the plane and land the aircraft.

The entire text of the NTSB report is below.

NTSB Identification: ERA13LA183
14 CFR Part 91: General Aviation
Accident occurred Friday, March 29, 2013 in Collegedale, TN
Aircraft: Andrews Zodiac, registration: N999NA
Injuries: 1 Fatal,1 Uninjured.
This is preliminary information, subject to change, and may contain errors. Any errors in this report will be corrected when the final report has been completed. NTSB investigators may not have traveled in support of this investigation and used data provided by various sources to prepare this aircraft accident report.

On March 29, 2013, about 1530 eastern daylight time, an experimental amateur-built Zodiac 601XL, N999NA, operated by a private individual, sustained minor damage during an in-flight upset near Collegedale Municipal Airport (FGU), Collegedale, Tennessee. The flight instructor was not injured and the private pilot was fatally injured. The instructional flight was conducted under the provisions of 14 Code of Federal Regulations Part 91. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed and no flight plan was filed for the local flight that departed FGU about 1510.

According to the flight instructor's written statement, the private pilot purchased the airplane about 3 weeks before the accident and was not familiar with it. The flight instructor agreed to provide instruction in the airplane and first wanted familiarize himself with it. The flight instructor flew the airplane solo uneventfully on two occasions, for a total of approximately 2 hours, with the second flight ending just before the accident flight began. After his second solo flight, the flight instructor shut down the engine and reviewed the airplane's characteristics with the private pilot. They then returned to the airplane, took their time entering the cockpit, fastened their seatbelts and secured the canopy; however, they were unable to start the engine.

The private pilot subsequently unlatched and raised the canopy to call for assistance from ground personnel. A ground person provided a charger for the airplane's battery. As he started to attach the charger, the private pilot unbuckled his seatbelt to assist; however, the ground person stated that the private pilot did not need to get out of the airplane as he did not require any help. The private pilot then put his seatbelt back on, more hastily than the first time, and appeared to fasten it again. The flight instructor thought he heard a "click," but could not see the private pilot's seatbelt with the center console between them. The pilots lowered the canopy and latched it a second time for the planned 20-minute flight.

About 5 minutes into the flight, the flight instructor heard a wind noise from behind their heads, which he did not hear on previous flights and thought that perhaps the canopy did not have a perfect seal to the fuselage. As the flight progressed, the canopy seemed like it may have separated a little more. By that time, the flight was headed back to the airport. The canopy then pulled up enough on the latches that the flight instructor could see daylight through the openings between the canopy and fuselage. The flight instructor attempted to pull the canopy down, but it instead opened completely and the airplane entered a negative G dive. He was not sure if the change in airflow or a control input by the private pilot caused the dive. The private pilot lifted out of his seat and ejected out of the cockpit. The flight instructor was able to grab the control stick, arrest the dive, and land back at FGU uneventfully. Emergency responders later recovered the private pilot in a wooded area.

Examination of the airplane by a Federal Aviation Administration inspector revealed minor damage to the fuselage. Initial examination of the canopy and the private pilot's seatbelt did not reveal any failures. The inspector was able to secure and release both the canopy and seatbelt without difficulty.



Powered by WorldNow
Can't find what you're looking for?

900 Whitehall Road
Chattanooga, TN 37405
(423) 267-5412

WRCB Jobs EEO | FCC Public Files

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WRCB. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.