CHATTANOOGA, TN (WRCB) -- Five families are without homes after fire spreads through an apartment complex, destroying parts of the building.
It's a story you first saw on Eyewitness News Today. It happened about 3 a.m. Wednesday morning on Morrison Springs Road at the Bluff View Apartments. Officials say the flames started in the wall of one apartment but spread. Residents were evacuated, and are safe.
"It was massive, coming out windows like you see in the movies it was just shooting out the window," neighbor Ryan Ratcliff gave his eyewitness account.
The chaos woke him out of a solid sleep.
"I didn't know what was going on, I was a little upset at first. I was like who is banging on the doors? Then I came out here and it was crazy; I don't know what happened but I hope everyone is ok."
Everyone made it out unharmed. Fire alarms woke up most and the commotion alerted the rest.
Now cardboard covers where doors once stood and water left over from fire hoses drops off the roof of this now empty complex.
Four units with more than a dozen residents displaced.
"We called in the Red Cross, they're here and they've provided warm blankets and they're working on other accommodations to live and other assistance as well," said Chattanooga Fire Spokesperson Bruce Garner.
Garner says the fire was ruled accidental and it started with wiring in the walls. Crews had the fire under control in less than 30 minutes.
"They found fire inside the walls, they found fire climbing up the second story of the unit and into the attic. The fire fighters had to climb the roof and cut ventilation holes to gain access into the attic," said Garner.