Stranger's 'instinct" helps save family from fire - WRCBtv.com | Chattanooga News, Weather & Sports

Stranger's 'instinct" helps save family from fire

Posted: Updated:

RINGGOLD, GA (WRCB) -- Katie Higdon makes herself smile when she talks about the fire that destroyed the rental house in Ringgold that she and her husband Troy have called home for nine years.

The only home youngest daughter Haley, has ever known.

"It's easier to laugh than to cry," she says.

"Cried all day yesterday, so I figured all I can do is laugh and try to make it best I can."

Troy was already at work, when Katie's mother smelled smoke about 9AM.

"The space heater next to the closet, the wiring on it caught on fire," Katie says.

"It was in my bedroom," says Haley, 8. "I  just got out! I just grabbed something off my bed and got out."

"It happened so fast, I didn't really think about it," Drew Townsend says.

Townsend was answering a maintenance call at one of the apartments his company managers on Guyler Street, directly across from the Higdon's house.

"They (Katie & Haley) were still in their pajamas," he says. "She (Katie) was shaking from more than the cold."

"The fire grew so big and there was smoke everywhere," Katie says. 'It was hard to get out."

Not everybody had. Daughters Kristina, 14, and Kassidy, 13; mother Christie, dog "Titan' and cat "Callie" were still inside.

"You hear kids and fire, you just go help em out," Townsend says.

"I went and they all were back there. We got 'em out the back (door)."

"We had two guardian angels," Katie says.

A neighbor brought food and some clothing. Townsend offered his warm Jeep.

Catoosa County Fire & Rescue would be on scene within 4 minutes of the emergency call. 

The house was too far gone.

"Now the roof stands and the house doesn't," Katie says, referring to the tornado that tore through Ringgold April 27, 2011.

"It's one or the other."

Troy would spend much of Friday morning trying to salvage.

"he's trying to stay busy,"Katie says. That way he doesn't have to think about it."

They have no renter's insurance.

"We need furniture and clothes and prayers," Katie laughs. Lots of prayers."

The Red Cross of Northwest Georgia has provided a hotel room through Sunday.

Townsend prefers to consider what he did as all in a day's work.

"My wife and children stay home all day, he says.  "I would like to think that somebody hopefully would do the same for them, if I wasn't there."


Clothing Needs


Daughter, age 14
Pants, Dress size 1
Blouse, shirt size: Small

Daughter, age 13
Junior Size 6
Shirt size: Medium

Daughter, age 8
Child size: 14-16 pants
Shirt:  XL

Father
Work boots/shoes Size: 12C



 

  • NewsMore>>

  • Thieves steal from multiple churches in Bradley County

    Thieves steal from multiple churches in Bradley County

    Tuesday, July 22 2014 5:41 PM EDT2014-07-22 21:41:56 GMT
    Authorities in Bradley county are searching for thieves who have stolen multiple heating and air units from area churches. A new heating and air unit is installed at Thompson Springs Baptist Church Tuesday. More
    Authorities in Bradley county are searching for thieves who have stolen multiple heating and air units from area churches. A new heating and air unit is installed at Thompson Springs Baptist Church Tuesday. More
  • Cleveland Police investigating gas station robbery

    Cleveland Police investigating gas station robbery

    Tuesday, July 22 2014 5:28 PM EDT2014-07-22 21:28:10 GMT
    Police are investigating a robbery in Cleveland. Officers responded to Hi-Tech Gas Station and Convenience Store on APD 40 just before 2:45 Tuesday afternoon. More
    Police are investigating a robbery in Cleveland. Officers responded to Hi-Tech Gas Station and Convenience Store on APD 40 just before 2:45 Tuesday afternoon. More
  • Chattanooga man sleeps through fire, neighbors save his life

    Chattanooga man sleeps through fire, neighbors save his life

    Tuesday, July 22 2014 5:06 PM EDT2014-07-22 21:06:46 GMT
    The heroic actions of neighbors saved a Chattanooga man's life when his apartment went up in flames. He was in such a heavy sleep, he didn't know fire surrounded him until his neighbors busted through a window.-year-old man who lives in an upstairs unit was treated for minor smoke inhalation,...More
    The heroic actions of neighbors saved a Chattanooga man's life when his apartment went up in flames. He was in such a heavy sleep, he didn't know fire surrounded him until his neighbors busted through a window.-year-old man who lives in an upstairs unit was treated for minor smoke inhalation,...More
Powered by WorldNow
Can't find what you're looking for?

WRCB-TV
900 Whitehall Road
Chattanooga, TN 37405
(423) 267-5412

WRCB Jobs EEO | FCC Public Files

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WRCB. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.