Hamilton Place celebrates 25 years as regional centerpiece
CHATTANOOGA, TN (Times Free Press) -- It started with an out-of-the-blue phone call from an old college chum.
Charles Lebovitz said his ex-classmate told him that his family had nearly 200 acres of wooded land off Interstate 75 in Chattanooga, and a company was interested in putting a shopping center there.
"He said 'If anyone is going to build a shopping center on my family's property, it will be my old buddy,'" recalled Lebovitz, chairman of Chattanooga-based developer CBL & Associates Properties Inc.
That simple call set the wheels in motion for what eventually led to the building of Hamilton Place mall in 1987.
Development over the years
- Hamilton Place mall 1987 / 1.2 million sq. ft.
- Hamilton Crossing 1987 / 191,873 sq. ft.
- Hamilton Corner 1990 / 67,150 sq. ft.
- Hamilton Village 1990 / 413,700 sq. ft.
- The Overlook 1993 / 214,918 sq. ft.
- The Terrace 1997 / 155,836 sq. ft.
- Gunbarrel Pointe 2000 / 273,913 sq. ft.
- Waterside Lifestyle Center Under development
Read more from our news partners at the Chattanooga Times Free Press.