Massengale and Chuba Win CFF Tournament on Chickamauga Lake
CHATTANOOGA (WRCB) - The Chattanooga Fishing Forum (CFF) held the eighth tournament of its ten tournament season Friday evening, July 13, 2012, out of Harrison Bay State Park. 28 teams consisting of Chattanooga Fishing Forum members participated in the event.
The team of Roy Massengale and Nick Chuba caught a three-fish limit weighing 12.76 pounds to win first place in the tournament. The team also weighed in the big fish of the tournament with a giant largemouth weighing 6.15 pounds, topping two other five pounders weighed in, a 5.95 by the team of Patrick and Taffi McBride, and a 5.07 by the team of David and Joe Hix.
Massengale and Chuba reported catching their fish early on in the tournament near heavy grass using top-water lures.
The Chattanooga Fishing Forum is an online fishing forum of local fisherman with a membership of nearly 8000 anglers. Qualifying for CFF tournaments requires active participation in the forum in the form of fishing reports, tournament reports, and general fishing and outdoors discussion. For more info on becoming a member visit www.chattanoogafishingforum.com.
Tournament organizer Patrick McBride said, "Any CFF member can join us to fish, but each boat that participates in the tournament must have a combined total of at least 150 posts on the CFF. The minimum post rule was not meant to exclude anglers, it was designed to promote the active exchange of ideas and fishing reports on the CFF."
McBride says, "The purpose of the CFF Tournament Trail is to provide a low cost tournament format with a fellowship oriented atmosphere to anglers who want to participate in tournaments without the pressure or high costs associated with fishing higher-level events. In many cases these events can be used by tournament anglers to hone their skills in preparation for next level of tournaments, or to decide if they are tournament fishing material."
Listed below are the top 10 places:
- 1st - Roy Massengale and Nick Chuba – 12.76 pounds with 6.15 big fish
- 2nd - Brent Hayes and Shane Frazier – 11.47 pounds
- 3rd - Bo Campbell and Mike Wilson – 10.29 pounds
- 4th - Jeff Hightower and Ray Camp – 9.73 pounds
- 5th - Patrick McBride and Taffi McBride – 9.71 pounds with 5.85 big fish
- 6th - Jim McClanahan and James Dillard – 9.40 pounds
- 7th - Gary Hughes and Steve Norris – 9.27 pounds
- 8th - David Hix and Joe Hix – 9.17 pounds
- 9th - Ben Hayes and Jackie Steele – 8.85 pounds
- 10th - Billy Skidmore and Danny Stout – 8.75 pounds
There was a total of 106 largemouth bass weighed in and released for a total weight of 321.78 pounds in the event.