Firefighters quickly tame morning fire at Valleybrook Townhomes
CHATTANOOGA, TN (WRCB) -- Chattanooga firefighters were dispatched to a fire at Valleybrook Townhomes this morning which involved five townhomes.
The first firefighter to arrive on the scene used hand-held hose lines and worked to extinguish the fire, as other firefighters went to the nearby four townhome units to evacuate residents.
All of the residents had already safely made it outside, but told the firefighters of one woman who lived in the unit on the far side of the five-unit complex might still be inside.
CFD Lt.. Kenny Fairchild forced his way into the townhome to find a woman watching closed-caption television. Neighbors later explained said she was totally deaf. Fairchild informed the woman about the fire and asked her to leave for her own safety.
Firefighters got the fire suppressed quickly before it threatened the adjacent
Battalion Chief Bob Dixon said the fire was mostly contained to a utility room, but the fire
did penetrate an exterior wall, causing extensive smoke damage to the rest of the two-story
home. The dollar loss was estimated at $50,000, with no injuries reported.
The cause of the fire appears to be accidental. Captain Anthony Moore with the Fire Investigation Division said the fire was most likely started by an electrical malfunction in the utility room.