Burning bag of rice apparent cause of Hixson fire - WRCBtv.com | Chattanooga News, Weather & Sports

Burning bag of rice apparent cause of Hixson fire

Posted: Updated:

HAMILTON COUNTY, TN. (WRCB) --A kitchen fire in a Dallas Bay home Friday evening was caused by a burning bag of rice.

Spokeswoman Amy Maxwell says fire crews reported smoke coming from the front of the house at 6918 Love Lane when they arrived, and worked quickly to put out the flames.

A 13-year-old told fire officials he was cooking rice when the water boiled over, causing the bag to catch fire and flames to spread to the cabinets.

No one was injured, but the teen was checked out by EMS for unknown injuries.

Damage is estimated at $15,000.

Powered by Frankly