Sunday night fire leaves Chattanooga family homeless - WRCBtv.com | Chattanooga News, Weather & Sports

Sunday night fire leaves Chattanooga family homeless

Posted: Updated:

CHATTANOOGA, TN (WRCB) -- No injuries were reported in connection with a house fire Sunday night that left a Chattanooga family homeless.

One of the residents, Marqueata Blair, told Chattanooga firefighters that she was asleep and woke up to discover fire outside her bedroom.  She grabbed her two children, ages 5 and 1, and quickly got out of the house unharmed.

Chattanooga firefighters received the alarm at 8:19 p.m. and responded to 2210 Camden Street with four fire companies. Captain Marvin Hudgins with Engine 4 said there was a large amount of fire on two sides of the house when they arrived on the scene.  

The firefighters got the fire under control in about 30 minutes, but the fire damage was extensive. Captain Hudgins estimated the dollar loss at $70,000.  The family was renting the home, but did not have renter's insurance.

Volunteers with the American Red Cross were called in to provide assistance to the family.

The cause of the fire has been ruled accidental. Ms. Blair said she had been using an electric heater and something close to it caught on fire. In light of last night's fire, Fire Marshal James Whitmire would like to remind area residents about the 3-foot rule with heaters, and that is this: Keep anything that will burn at least three feet away from portable space heaters and any other heating appliances.

Chattanooga police, Hamilton County EMS and EPB also provided valuable assistance on the scene.

Powered by Frankly