"Step-tember" health fair observed by N. American Credit Services
CHATTANOOGA (WRCB)- In an effort to encourage employees and Americans as a whole, to live healthier lives and reduce unnecessary medical costs due to physical inactivity North American Credit Services (NACS) and Medical Services of Chattanooga celebrated "Step-tember" at its corporate head-quarters This 2nd year employee health and wellness event was held in conjunction with the company's approaching 30th anniversary.
NACS employees have been provided the opportunity to take a pledge in making strides towards better health including: a corporate membership partnership with the YMCA and BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee, who have provided walking pedometers for employees since the Fall 2010 campaign launch, to help track their steps to success. "Our company feels passionately about the connection between one‟s daily decisions and the direct costs of healthcare," said Dallas S. Bunton Sr., CEO and Chairman. "Employee wellness partnerships create an opportunity to engage in increased physical activity while at work and after-hours in improving personal health."
The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Administration (HRSA) estimates the cost to treat illness and chronic disease caused by inactive lifestyles is nearly $1,000 annually for every American family. And the U.S. Surgeon General reports that two out of three Americans are not getting enough daily physical activity to maintain a basic level of fitness. Simply adding 30 minutes of moderate physical activity, such as a brisk walk, at least five times a week can help people lose weight, lower their cholesterol and strengthen their hearts.
"I've lost and kept off over 75 pounds since last year's company wellness kick-off and my energy level is at an all time high," said employee Rhonda Shirey. "I feel like a whole new me." The health fair was staffed by representatives from the YMCA, American Cancer Society, Hamilton County Health Department, BlueCross BlueShield of TN and BB&T Insurance Services along with health screenings provided by Erlanger and chair-massages courtesy of Massage Heights.
The complete list of participants includes:
- YMCA – interactive fitness demo's "ZUMBA"!
- Children's Hospital / Safe & Sound
- Hamilton County Health Department – BMI's
- American Cancer Society -- Relay for Life 2012
- Massage Heights -- LMT providing chair massages
- Children's Urgent Care
- BlueCross BlueShield of TN
- BB&T Huffaker & Trimble
- Erlanger Dietary -- Wellness Lifestyle
- Erlanger Weight Management -- Bariatric Surgery
- Erlanger Community Relations/Foundation
- Erlanger North Senior's Program -- Memory Assessment
- Erlanger Radiology -- Bone Density Screening
- Erlanger Respiratory -- Pulse Oxygen Levels
- UT Family Practice -- Physician Practices
- Blood Assurance
- Earthfare -- Nutritionist / Healthy Recipes / Samples / Coupons