CHATTANOOGA, TN (WRCB) -- The moldy problem at the Ronald McDonald house is not what director Jane Kaylor hoped for.
She says it was first brought to her attention days ago, and after having health experts look at the problem, they decided to close the doors to residents.
It doesn't mean they'll be homeless, but the they can't be inside as the rooms are treated with chemicals. "It is a process that you can not be present for while they are doing it," Kaylor said.
That means 11 families will be put in temporary shelters until the mold problem is fixed, there's no telling how long that can take.
The second issue is finding the root of the mold. It was discovered on walls and window seal, but Kaylor isn't sure how it got there. "We have been here 20 years, and it has never happened before and we don't know exactly what caused it."
Her assumption is the mold was caused by the hot humid weather as of late, but the more pressing issue is finding shelter for the families inside.
The preliminary fix is to put everyone in hotels, but with a tight budget, the long-term solution could be costly. Kaylor said, "We have a small emergency fund and we don't know what it is going to cost and it will be."
Visit http://www.rmhchattanooga.com/www if you would like to help donate to the Ronald McDonald House in Chattanooga.