The heat is (still) on
CHATTANOOGA (WRCB) - Another day of heat and humidity.
We can expect a high today of about 95 (the normal high is 90). Dew points are in the low 70s, which basically means the air is filled with moisture.
Some of the heat and humidity will translate into scattered afternoon showers and storms (not severe).
The main threat from our weather will be the heat index. The air will feel like it is100 to 105 through the afternoon so be careful heading out again today.
Purpose to keep yourself hydrated, and make sure you don't leave kids and pets in the car, even for a moment. The temperature in a car can climb 20-30 degrees in just 10 minutes.
Slight relief from the intense heat will come this weekend as we see temps dipping 3 or 4 degrees.
Please stay safe! Here are some tips:
- Take extra precautions if you work or spend time outside.
- When possible, reschedule strenuous activities to early morning or evening.
- Wear light weight and loose fitting clothing when possible and drink plenty of water.
- Check up on relatives and neighbors.
- Absolutely do not leave children or pets unattended in vehicles!
- To reduce risk during outdoor work the Occupational Safety and Health Administration recommends scheduling frequent rest breaks in shaded or air conditioned environments.
- Anyone overcome by heat should be moved to a cool and shaded location.
- Heat stroke is an emergency...CALL 911.
We have several ways to keep you informed. You can track pop-up showers and zoom right to your neighborhood on the iRadar.
Search "WRCB" for free local weather apps on iPhone, iPad and Droid. Other mobile devices can use m.WRCBtv.com.
If you see weather problems and it is safe to do so, send a photo to email@example.com.