Apartment fire leaves family homeless - WRCBtv.com | Chattanooga News, Weather & Sports

Apartment fire leaves family homeless

Posted: Updated:

By WRCB Staff

CHATTANOOGA (WRCB) -- A Chattanooga family is homeless following an apartment fire Tuesday afternoon. 

The Chattanooga Fire Department received the alarm at 1:17 p.m. and responded with several fire companies to 2250 E. 24th Street Courts.

The fire was located in an upstairs bedroom.  The firefighters were able to contain the blaze to the bedroom, though the rest of the apartment had smoke and water damage.

Melinda Cox, 46, told firefighters that she had been smoking in the bedroom and thought she had put her cigarette out. She left the room for a period of time and when she returned, the bed was on fire.  Ms. Cox said she tried to put the fire out herself, and burned her hand in the process.

Seeing she could not get the fire out herself, she got her daughter and granddaughter safely out of the apartment. She declined to be transported to a hospital.  No other injuries were reported. 

Volunteers with the American Red Cross were called in to provide assistance to the three victims.

The cause of the fire will be listed as accidental, due to careless smoking.

Powered by Frankly