By WRCB Staff

ST. ELMO, HAMILTON COUNTY, TN (WRCB) -- A father and son are homeless tonight after fire raced through their small home in St. Elmo. 

The Chattanooga Fire Department received the alarm at 6:18 p.m. and responded to 1220 W. 55th Street. The first firefighters on the scene reported the entire structure was engulfed in flames, and the fire was threatening to spread to a neighboring house.

Russell Cannon's home was completely destroyed.  Mr. Cannon told firefighters that he was cooking chicken when hot grease splashed up against the wall behind the stove and ignited.  The flames quickly got into the wall and spread throughout the house. 

Mr. Cannon said he only had time to get his son and pet dog safely out of the house.  Everything else was consumed by the fire (see attached photos).

The cause of the fire will be listed as accidental.  Chattanooga police and Hamilton County EMS also provided assistance on the scene.